Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Work Plans

Entrance to Familia Feliz. (Church is on Right)
Rio Beni the banks of Rurr
I want to start this post with a forgotten story from my arrival. On Friday night when we arrived, eric and I were split into 2 different houses. As soon as I walked into my house, my kids were so excited to show me how many pullups they could do (which turned out to be 2 by the strongest kid). They then wanted to see how many that I could do. So I was able to get 20. However I was pretty exhausted, especially since it was 90 degrees with not breeze. But then they decided that they wanted to do pushups too! blah. I was barely able to do 30 before I was completely exhausted. And then I felt it. It was happening. I was about to puke. I knew it, so I casually walked outside so no one would know. However, as soon as I walked outside, I saw a flashlight and I was hoping so much that it wasn't Melissa, Joy, or Erin (the 2 directors and the girl that has been way more helpful than either of them). But what do you know, it was Erin. She saw me with her flashlight and called out my name. I instantly thought "oh great, I'm about to puke in front of this girl on my first night. She is going to think I am such a pansy." And what do you know, I puked right after we made eye contact. Then things got a bit worse. Joy was a short way behind Erin and saw me puking too! It was like a bad dream. And Erin refuses to let me live that down. But oh well, such is life.

The Sunday Market on My Day Off
I am continuing to enjoy familia feliz. The children are super well behaved. They clean and work without being asked. They just do things and share and follow directions. It's amazing to notice the differences between these kids with no TV, no computers, and no other worldly influences and the kids in the States. Connection? Anywhoozers, yesterday we woke up yesterday at 5 am (which is the case every single morning) and Eric and I were asked to help Juan and a few kids water their orange groves, and watermelon patches. After that, our next job was brutal. We had to help Max out in the Coco chopping down trees, sawing them, and stacking wood. What made it so bad was the fact that there was ZERO shade, ZERO clouds, and it was the hottest day since we arrived. It was quite exhausting. But following that, we were able to cool off in the creek behind the big house for a few minutes and then relax for a bit. Later that afternoon, a group of us all got together and played futbol (soccer)! And let me tell you, these kids are good!

After speaking with Joy, it sounds like Eric and I will become bakers and make the bread for the whole orphange which is not an easy task by any means. Everyone dreds doing that. But we will learn all about it this afternoon. Erin has also said that they will finish out the second trimester without me since they are almost done. And at the beginning of the 3rd trimester, I will start.

Things are going great here in Bolivia at Familia Feliz and there are many adventures to be had. Oh. and by the way, my kids have already started calling me pa pa.!!!

P.S. you can click on any of the pictures that i have already posted and it will make them bigger for you.



You stay civilized........planet Earth.

4 comments:

  1. Wow what an exciting start to your adventure!! I expect some amazing homemade bread when u come home!!:) Thats also pretty awesome the kids are calling you pa pa now:) Special memories!! Love ya and take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pa pa.. this melts my heart! Sounds like you are having an amazing time there, and i agree with shellie, i expect amazing homemade bread in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree with these 2 ladies! When you get back you shall be making your woman a feast of bread!! Be safe "Papa McLennan" ;) Love you babe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chad, if you current carrier aspiration does not work you can always fall back into being a baker:) That is not easy to bake bread in 100 degree weather but I am sure you and Eric will find a way of keeping cool. Take care and write more. Enjoy the reading!

    ReplyDelete